Friday, October 12, 2012

"The energy of Being Real" -mark nepo

"What Jung speaks to is the fact that the energy of being real has more power than outright persuasion, debate, or force of will."

Mark Nepo wrote, The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have.  On page 106 he writes about "The Energy of Being Real.

I find the reason I'm successful working with special needs kids is because of my ability to be present, show up, and hold the space for them to have their experience.  I am super grounded and peaceful.  I am slow in a way.  I am slow the way being conscious of holding a sponge to a bowl and moving it across one circle at a time, makes you slow.  I move at the pace of my awareness, and in order to really tune in, I can't be distracted.  I have to be fully present and attending to this one other person, and in a way sometimes I move more slowly.  It feels present, and I can have quick reactions in this space, but it has a different quality to it. I am attentive to their expressions, movement, moods, but my role is not to rile anyone, but rather to create a container where they can feel safe to look out of themselves, and be in another's company, or not.  Either way, I'll be there holding the space.  This is how the "real" me shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment