Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Boys

On this journey, I feel I am Wendy, in the company of Peter Pan, and his band of Lost Boys.  Not on account of actually being lost, more on account of being a band of brothers on an island few can understand, and although they have each other, they kind of don't.  Each boy is on his own in an important way.  So it is with autistic children, their experience is all their own, and often they can't relate it to another.  I also love the innocence of these boys, and just the pure fun of it.

As an only child and a girl, this boy energy is very new to me, and something I'm learning a lot more about since more special needs kids are boys.  In my current classroom it's 8:1.   That also makes it feel like a band of brothers.  Typically, developing brothers are just as intriguing and will be mentioned here as well, and sisters when I meet them.  : )

Welcome, to the Land of the Lost Boys.  Not so lost, not so alone, and yet in the paradox that we all face, they are at once connected, interdependent, and alone in their experience of it.

All my love,
Wendy
(a.k.a.  Alisha ; )  )

No comments:

Post a Comment