Friday, October 12, 2012

The brain wants constant stimulation

A neurologist said to a father of an autistic girl, "The brain wants constant stimulation And it wants everything to be the same."  Well this is a bind isn't it.

Does this explain my constant inner dialogue?  I ask a child to be quiet to stop his ambiant vocalizations that are constant, but is this his internal dialogue made external?  How long can I remain totally silent?  Probably about 10 seconds which matches his ability to be quiet and not self stimulate by vocalizing.

This also reminds me of my Grandma after the stroke.  She'd ask us, "What am I supposed to do?  Fix my feet.  Brush my hair."  She lost the ability (bedridden) to ease her mind.  Her only stimulation could be gotten through receiving our external input.  Huh?  In my experience it seems true, our mind seems to crave constant stimulation.

The added complexity is if you are engaging in the world, it is not probably the same.  But we all sing along, we all take the same path to work most of the time, because if it is the same we don't have to think about it, and it grows comfortable.  The larger reality is as you engage in the world you will be experiencing change, and this can be very hard to handle.  You can see where hand flapping, or looking at your hands inches from your face does create "the same" everywhere you go, amongst all the change, and it stimulates.

No comments:

Post a Comment